Thursday, January 10, 2008

Trio kidnap businessman for 45 lakh

Statesman News Service
GANGTOK, Jan. 9: A group of three goons kidnapped a businessman for Rs 45 lakh in Gangtok yesterday, but failed to carry out their scheme in the end. “I was returning home from Gangtok when I got a call. The people who called up are known to me. I was requested to attend an urgent meeting and so I went to meet them accordingly,” said Mr Sanjay Agarwal, the victim. According to him, the trio took him to a hotel at Tadong and locked him up in a room. “Tthey threatened me by demanding Rs 45 lakh immediately. The trio even brandished a revolver. I shouted for help, but no one came to rescue me,” Mr Agarwal said. The victim promised to raise Rs 10 lakh immediately as the banks had closed by then. “They took me to a bank for the money. Once we had reached the bank, I screamed for help. Locals rushed in to help me and as a result of this, the goons fled. Mr Agarwal then went to the police station and lodged an FIR. Police today arrested Chandan Singh Gurung, one of the accused. The rest are still absconding In another incident last night, hooligans tried to break the ATM of UCO bank in Gangtok. The bank manager, Mr S Lama, reviewed the damage to the machine this morning and informed the police. “We are yet to know if money is missing. Experts would arrive from Kolkata for inspection,” the manager said.

No comments:

Post a Comment