Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Bhaichung's Red Card To Beijing Olympics


Indian skipper Bhaichung Bhutia is among the latest of the high profile names to have distanced himself from the Beijing Olympics’ in view of the Tibet unrest.

The Sikkimese Sniper conveyed his decision of not carrying the famed Olympic torch when it comes to the Indian capital later this month yesterday as he faxed a letter to the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).

Bhaichung, a Buddhist by religion, has voiced his solidarity for the Tibetan cause is the first Indian celebrity to do so.

The Mohun Bagan star was quoted saying in a national daily, “I sympathize with the Tibetan cause, I have many friends in Sikkim who follow the Buddhist religion. This is my way to stand by the people of Tibet and their fight. I abhor violence in any form.”

He further added, “I feel what is happening in Tibet is not right and in my small way I should show my solidarity.”

German Chancellor Angela Merkel had mentioned of not attending the Olympic Games as part of her boycott while French President Nicolas Sarkozy indicated of his country not participating in the high profile sporting event.

Earlier, Hollywood director Steven Spielberg pulled out as an artistic adviser to Olympics over the Chinese support to the Sudanese government while the latter is accused of crimes in Darfur.

Do you think Bhutia is rightly snubbed the Olympics? Goal.com wants to know your views.
www.goal.com

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment