SNT as Sikkim Nationalised Transport is popularly known has been a backbone of a rich old heritage in
The year was 1944; when the rest of the world was engaged in the disastrous Second World War, a department called Truck Department run by Government of Sikkim was the forefront of transportation in the hills of
The first year of the setting up of the Nationalisation of Road Transport saw ten 15-cwt Ford trucks and ten 15-cwt Chevrolet trucks brought in an investment of Rs 140,000, avail from the loan provided by the Rationing Department of the Sikkim Government. The total tonnage lifted by those trucks amounted to 600 tones earning for the Department gross revenue of Rs 49,900. With limited routes around the trucking operation was done through Gangtok-Tista-Kalimpong and Gangtok-Tista-Geilkhola until 1960 where the floods of 1960 destroyed the railhead at Geilkhola never to be restored.
Following decade of 50s brought
Rangpo saw the first consumer pump for petrol erected between 1952 to 1954. By 1954 the gross earning of the Department has already crosses Rs 32, 82,786. The following year saw a new usher in the development of Road Transport in the State with the introduction of the First Plan in Sikkim too that was for seven years. Prior to 1954 planning of the Transport in the state was refereed as pre-plan. The First Plan (1954-1961) had a capital outplay of Rs 8, 50,000 provided as aid by the Government from Departmental funds received from Government of India. The year also witnessed the first Tata Mercedes Benz Truck; Model L 312/36 being use on the road from Gangtok to Rangpo, Gangtok- Darjeeling daily Passenger service in land rovers was also introduced. An agreement for the counter signature of route permits by the West Bengal Authorities and of Sikkim State Transport vehicle was negotiated. This move made the vehicle from