Sunday, April 26, 2009

I could not watch Rahul Gandhi because of my umbrella

The stage was set for the yuvraaj of Indian Politics at Palzor Stadium, Gangtok. Like many others, I was also in a queue at the entrance gate of the stadium under the scorching heat of the summer sun. With crowds rushing up like ants, the scenario everywhere was much different than it usually happens in Sikkim politics. 
I could hear national integration songs being scored up loudly on mikes as if I was about to witness a National festival much like Independence Day or Republic Day. Among the crowd, I was there holding a small handbag with an umbrella inside, as these days rainfall is unpredictable in this part of the region.

Congress supporters of all ages from every corner of the state had gathered. With all the hushing and pushing I made my way to the security personnel who were checking every individual entering the stadium. I had my bag in front of me and as I was ready to open the zip of my bag I was told to keep aside the bag before entering the stadium. I showed them it was only an umbrella but I was denied, the same sentence echoed from behind ''if you want to enter inside remove your bag as well as remove your mobile battery". 
I found myself in a funny situation. I came all the way from Singtam, an hour-long drive where with no vehicle available even after waiting for more than half an hour, I hurried into a crowded bus just to make sure I did not miss Rahul Gandhi. Now when I am about to step my foot I am told I cannot do so without leaving my bag, I was now looking frustrated with the security personnel and asked them where I should throw my bag to enter inside. But I could not get a reply.

 
NB Bhandari helps Rahul Gandhi wear a Lepcha half jacket and a Nepali topi

I wanted to listen to Rahul Gandhi, click some photographs, and make my way back home in the time since I knew there would be no vehicle in the evening to Singtam. But I felt sorry so near and yet so far I could not do so. 

Feeling dejected, I returned back from the stadium. I had in my mind, that I could not watch Rahul Gandhi because of my umbrella, and yet I was consoling myself that tomorrow every local newspaper will have Rahul's story and his photograph. Photo: Himalayadarpan

6 comments:

  1. Was just wondering if your umbrella was Blue,Yellow and red:)
    Nyways I too heard and saw it in the newspaper that Palzor Stadium was crowed by Congress supports but I even heard that Other party supporters were there to get a glimpse of Rahul Gandhi adding more people to the crowd(lol) Oh btw I dunno if its also True that all the vechiles were WB number and was paid 200 per head to bring Tehelka to the other party i.e SDF..God knows.
    well I aint a supporter of any Party but a true loving Daughter:)

    wadever,u always have something unique about your blog like Khali in sikkim etc etc..I wish u best for the coming future..And I personally feel u should get a Domain..If u do so..hope I can buy an Ad place in ur site:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its an irony of life.....being in double democratic state i fear to disclose what was my parties symbol....

    well thanks for appreciating my work.....I was looking for domain but it cost me much more. But if i get someday i shall do think of you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its totally okay who you voted for because everyone have a right to vote and choose the one who they feel is right to rule the state...
    Domain indeed is expensive but setting up and designing will cost even more..I don't know if u ever came across http://www.freedomain.co.nr/..U can host blogspot from this server..if u sign up then u will have your own..www.sikhim.co.nr
    And there is www.webs.com( freewebs) which I feel is very resonable..
    Btw thanx a lot for putting up my blog.( that means a lot)
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. vickey palzor lepchaMay 06, 2009 3:13 pm

    wat i dnt usnderstand is..wats wrong in using WB vehicles???...if the sikkim people cannot give their vehicles for opposition's gatherings....remember..that day..SDF had shrewdly booked most of the sikkim vehicles..though they had no use at all..these are the reasons people....it wasnt easy to get vehicle for opposition leaders..really tough..but who cares....just because MG MARG has been beautified doesnt mean the roads of west sikkim, the schools ,water problems,etc are solved....my earnest request to all my sikkim lovers....just by lukin at MG MARG N NAMCHI..dnt judge 15 years..its mere foolishness...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mr.Vickey Palzor Lepcha,
    I have been reading all your comments in this blog.I respect every comments and every points that you want to reach the people of Sikkim..Thats a job well done BUT,I don't get it why you have something or the other to say to every person's view.Well you have clearly said don't judge SDF by looking at MG MARG N NAMCHI and Don't Judge 15 years..I wish to understand Clearly what you mean.I suppose you mean not to Judge SSP( SIkkim Sangram PArishad)which ruled SIkkim for 15 years too without bringing any changes and doing nothing for SIkkim.If thats what you mean that you are right N its not mere foolishness but true thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congress supporters of all age from every corner of the state had gathered. With all the hushing and pushing i made my way to the security personal who was checking every individual entering inside the stadium.

    ReplyDelete