Tuesday, October 05, 2010

I never thought India Gate had that height

India Gate was the first name I had in my list of places I did not want to miss. Have seen this national monument in television and on screens for umpteen times since ages I was dumb fold to make my head rise to the sky to watch this build 42 meters high. It was designed by the famous architect Edwin Lutyens. India gate was earlier named All India War Memorial. 

The design of the Indian gate is almost similar to its French counterpart war memorial, the Arc-de-Triomphe. Names of over 70,000 Indian Soldiers who laid their life for in WWI are inscribed on a red wall of the monuments for who the monuments are dedicated.



Faintly seen is the Rashtrapati Bhawan from India Gate


At the base of the India gate there is another memorial, the Amar Jawan Jyoti that was added after independence. This eternal flame was lighted in commemoration of the unknown soldiers who laid their lives to serve this nation.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment