Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Paan Singh Tomar : A forgotten national hero

Paan Singh Tomar was indeed a strange name for a Hindi film to me when I first read about it in a newspaper a few months back. The fact that I am a fan of Irrfan Khan since his Banegi Apni Baat days so it was obvious for me to watch this movie and as the name suggested I was sure I might have something very different to watch.



Story of an athlete of a world-class, seven times national champion at Steeple Chase in 50s and 60s, a participant at 1958 Tokyo Asian Games and his journey as a “baaghi” as Irrfan Khan playing as Paan Singh Tomar repeats in the movie is the backdrop of the story. 

No doubt Paan Singh Tomar, the persona is the winner of the movie, a sportsman who faded with time and despite bringing laurels to the nation was forced to rise against the law. This movie can be listed as one of the best movies of Irrfan Khan and his natural acting has made Paan Singh Tomar alive on screen. 

The newspaper clip

Paan Singh Tomar with his wife Indira and their children.
The Movie Poster


PIC: Rajputanas/ tanqeed.com/Hindustan Times

No comments:

Post a Comment