Sunday, May 04, 2014

Diliram Sharma Neopany: an herbal practitioner from Aritar- Khamdong

He started his fascination of curing broken bones complications some 18 years back and today with more than two thousand patients he has cured, he is an asset in his village. He enjoys helping people and to him, it is his hobby to cure people that visit him with different types of broken bones related problems. Meet Diliram Sharma Neopany, aged 58, an herbal practitioner locally called ‘Baidhya’ from Aritar- Khamdong (Rhenock).
In the remote village of Aritar- Khamdong, he had been serving people for a long time and it is not the regular doctors that the villagers prefer but it is Diliram Sharma Neopany, who is much sought after. More or less, he has been helping his village people save their money from travelling far away from Aritar- Khamdong. Sharma never fails to look at the X-ray of the visiting patients before starting up his medication.
He has cured people from far-flung places of Yumthang, Lachen, Kalimpong, Kagey, Pedong, and Pabak to name a few and there are places he had been called and he had never denied anyone, said Diliram Sharma Neopany. Believe me, he says he is illiterate and only can only write his signature. It is his interest that he collects books on different topics of herbal medicine and bone-related. He has someone read for him. He is of the school that had been doing best in the business with his practical experiences rather than a theoretical way.
For Diliram Sharma Neopany, it all started in his early days at his home I used to have keen observation on my father and grandfather’s medicinal ability to cure farm animals’ broken legs. I had my first opportunity to carry out this medication on buffalo. I helped the poor animal get a cure in fifteen days. Later on, I also cured an ox during the rainy season.   It was a major success for me and a few months later I had a man from Sisney come to me with a broken arm. I had earlier done medical treatment to buffalo, ox, cow, and goat, the person that arrived at me was in pain and in difficulty; he was not in a state to go to the hospital. I had no option and started my medication on him. In a couple of weeks, he was able to do his regular work. I took him to the hospital to do an X-ray and when I found everything was fine thereafter only I left him of his own, Sharma recalls.
It was this moment that gave Sharma, the self-confidence that he can cure humans too. Later he went to meet Pakhrin, a noted medical practitioner near Algarah. It was from Pakhrin; he stayed for three days and learned about studying X-rays. Sharma gained more knowledge about bones and ligaments from him. Since then, he had never observed any patient without an X-ray report. I believe an X-ray is very important; I do not want to risk anyone’s life.
There had been many a time; he had sent people to do X-rays with his own money. He has sent people to Kalimpong, Singtam, Rongli, and even a few times he has gone with them. Sharma says I am not into an earning business. It is my passion to serve my society, the patients that visit me offer me money but I do not charge any rate. I accept whatever they give me. Even if they are not able to pay anything, I give them money for their vehicle fare. I am the happiest when my patients get satisfaction from my healing, smiles Sharma.  

No comments:

Post a Comment