Monday, August 04, 2008
Sikkim govt to review decision to scrap hydel projects
GANGTOK: The Pawan Kumar Chamling Government in Sikkim has decided to review its decision to scrap 11 hydel power projects in a bid to mollify the private developers one of whom has moved the High Court challenging termination of its project in East district.
The Chief Minister, who also holds Power and Energy portfolio, would himself review the scrapping of 11 hydel projects and take appropriate decision in this regard, Power and Energy Department Secretary Pema Wangchen said.
Asked whether the private developers would get back their individual projects for execution, Wangchen said it was for the chief minister to decide on it.
Sources, however, said that the state government had been rattled by the private developers' threat to take the matter of termination of their projects to the Court for adjudication and so decided to return the scrapped projects to the individual developers for execution.
One of the developers - Madhya Bharat Power Corporation Ltd - whose project at Rongnichu (96 MW) in East district was among the projects terminated by the state government last month, has filed a petition in the Sikkim High Court challenging scrapping of the project.