Saturday, November 01, 2008

Possibility of volcano in Sikkim!!





I am doing a study on the possibility of a volcano in Sikkim and I firmly believe there are many chances that we can provide evidence that volcanic eruption had been a part of Sikkim in the dim past. The so-called legends that Tendong Gonpa is on the base of a dead volcano are often heard and read but so far nothing more has been examined. In my study I find three specific areas where soil testing and further examination are to be done, these places are Mt Tendong, the hills of Samdruptse and finally my own Mt Shital.


Mt Shital is better known as Foong Dara and I have heard people saying that there is a small pond on the top of the hill and one needs to have an hour uphill walk through the forest to reach its top. The pond story is really exciting at least for me. I have right now little information about the hills of Samdruptse but I go by the studies done on this mountain by geologists as an ample chance of a volcano possibility. Mt Tendong is a legendary timepiece in Sikkim history, I had never been there but I had read about the place where the gompa is placed looks very much like a crater. God knows the truth!!

I here also like to mention the name of Bermoik Hills, in my childhood, I had heard that once in a dim past volcano had brusted but nothing more than that. I might sound crazy but my crazy thought had an impression that isn't the hot water springs found in the state resulting from the grinding of the rocks beneath the earth's crust. Can Volcanoes not result from such grinding of the earth's crusts?


The presence of pre-Cambrian rock had given a positive approach towards the study of the geological past of Sikkim. Well, I hereby leave an interesting note..... the tracing of the volcanic eruption in Sikkim shall also lead to the early days of the formation of that so-called Tethys.

1 comment: