Writings of Sikkim since 2007

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Century old British War Memorial at Gnathang in Sikkim

As always when i come across stories related to Sikkim history my feet has no boundaries. I had heard about a small war memorial at Gnathang along the Sikkim-Tibet border some few years back but due to unavoidable circumstances i was not able to visit that place. So when i set my foot at Gnathang this March i was very excited. Well there is a War Memorial in Gnathang but more than that a neglected one. Despite its historic importance, i believe it has lost its existence. The dry over grown grasses and the broken name plates of the memorial speaks of the negligence. The world history remembers the event as the Sikkim Expedition 1888.

There are around 15 graveyards in the War Memorial of those soldiers representing the British Expeditionary Force that fought war against the Tibetan Army in 1888 at Gnathang. The British Force stayed at this remote mountainous corner between 1888 to 1895 and the memorial reflects the determination and girt of those people most of whom are were in their mid 20s and died fighting at the height of 11000 ft above sea level.

What is more important that the impact of the defeat of Tibetan Army in Gnathang resulted in the transfer of administration power of the Sikkim towards the hand of British. We shall have more details of Sikkim Expedition 1888 in few days.























Share:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system

Comments

Powered by Blogger.

Full Width CSS

Google+ Followers

Blog Archive

Visitor since January 21, 2012 free counters
Free counters

Search This Blog

Breaking News

DONATE WORLD WIDE POSTAGE STAMPS

I WOULD BE HAPPY IF I CAN GET USED/MINT WORLD WIDE STAMPS FOR CHARITY CAUSE. I WOULD BE USING THE FUND FOR THE SCHOOL DEVELOPMENT PLAN.

THANKS

SHITAL PRADHAN
C/O LN PRADHAN
SHANTINAGAR, SINGTAM
SIKKIM- 737134
INDIA

Google
Custom Search



Beauty

Followers

Social Icons

PageNavi Results No.

Label Icons CSS

Travel

Fashion

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts

Unordered List

When i started my blog on Sikkim way back in 2007, i had it clear on my mind that this blog shall help people look out for knowledge on Sikkim. I always wanted a knowledge house about Sikkim, its past, present and future. I do not know over the years how much did i succeed but my determination to let other understand my Sikkim is always giving me a push. with regards Shital Pradhan (himalayanreview@gmail.com)

Pages

Theme Support

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...