Skip to main content

I owe this to Sikkim Express!


I owe this to Sikkim Express. Since the oldest daily newspaper in Sikkim, the Sikkim Express, allowed me to write a column on Sikkim's history, I have yet to look back. Over the last 20 months, I have written over 100 articles under the column "Himalayan review" that have helped me grow as a student of Sikkim History. Sometime around, I am referred by Sikkim Historian by my well-wishers, which I find very embarrassing. 
The history of Sikkim is vast, and over the last half a dozen years, I have dedicated myself to understanding Sikkim, yet I feel there is still time for me to be called a Sikkim Historian. My friend tells me that to become a historian, one needs to have a will and a desire, not a degree or a certificate. But sometimes you go unnoticed when you do not have a formal qualification. I am learning, and I feel better calling myself a student of Sikkim History'.
Being a Botany Honours graduate from Sikkim Government College at Tadong and being interested in the glorious past of Sikkim was something even my close one never expected from me but ….(what a big but ?) I believe destiny had another plan for me. I still say I am nothing; many people in our state are more qualified than me, and they should have done it. Whatever I write is information around us; we never give an ear to it, nor do we listen to it. Or it could be that people don't have time to care about history, which has always been tedious. I know that sometimes I might be wrong in my information, but I limit myself to make it happen to its lowest. 
Sangharsh NGO from Rongli felicitated me a few weeks back along with other 9 personalities, including Prashant Tamang, Indian Idol 3, in a musical ceremony held at Rongli Bazaar. It was a pleasant memory to receive my first award for the small effort I had put into writing about the history of Sikkim, more precisely, the ancient Sikkim. I am thankful to the trio of Praveen Pradhan (President), Biren Gurung (General Secretary), Kushal Pradhan (Joint Secretary),  and other members of the Sangharsh NGO for considering me for the honor.  Sikkim Express gave me a much-needed platform that helped me spread my little knowledge about Sikkim to people around me. 
I received calls from every corner of the state about people's reactions to my article.  I am happy to hear most of my readers are students. I always believe this, i.e., the young generation needs to be taught about our glorious past. We call upon preserving and conserving our glorious past, yet we never think of the vast mass of students that need to be introduced to Sikkim History in their school syllabus in their early schooling. Through this medium, I request that the higher authority develop an introductory lesson on Sikkim history in government schools.  
Today, I have my small yet intriguing identity, which was only possible with Sikkim Express and other newspaper mediums, including Now, Samay Dainik, and Voice of Sikkim, among others who have always supported me. I am thankful for all of them. Facebook, a social networking site, is the other medium that helped me introduce to my readers, and today, at the moment of this writing, I have over one thousand fans that follow my blog “Proud to be a Sikkimese." 
The love and warm response I received from people across the globe show that people are still interested in learning about Sikkim, which is very encouraging for me. My blog, “Proud to be a Sikkimese,” has been viewed by 64848 people around the globe, with 100 subscribers directly subscribing to their email addresses. 
This is just a small beginning, and I am sure the love and warmth I have received so far will be with me in the coming days, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JANHA BAGCHA TEESTA RANGIT

This was a national song of Sikkim sung in the Nepali language during the monarchy system. During the merger with India, the song got banned and later re-released. Two words on the 8th para, which earlier said 'Rajah rah Rani,' were replaced with "Janmah bhumi."     This song was dedicated to the King and Queen of Sikkim. The song lyrics were penned by Sanu Lama, and the music was composed by Dushyant Lama.  The song was first sung on the birth anniversary of Chogyal Palden Thondup Namgyal on April 4, 1970, at Gangtok by Aruna Lama, Dawa Lama, and Manikamal Chettri.    JANHA BAGCHA TEESTA RANGIT,  JAHAN KANCHENDZONGA SEER   YEHI HO HAMRO DHANA KO DESH,  TAPAWAN HO PYARO SIKKIM     INTERLUDE     PHULCHAN YEHA AANGANAI MAA,  CHAAP , GURAS, SUNAKHARI   SWARGASARI SUNDAR DESH KO  HAMRO PYARO PYARO JANMAHBHUMI     JANHA BAGCHA……     BATASHLE BOKCHAA YAHA,  TATHAGAT KO AAMAR WAANI ...

Early Poets of Sikkim : Subhash Deepak

During the early two decades of the twentieth century young boys belonging to rich and aristocratic families including upper caste Brahmins were sent to Darjeeling or Benares for studies. These young boys naturally got an opportunity to encounter the new trends of awakening like the National movement of Indian Independence. The influence of great literary personalities like Lekhnath Poudyal (1884-1965), Lakshmi Prasad Devkota (1909-1965) and Balkrishna Sama (1902-1981) is very much evident on the poets associated with Apatan Sahitya Parishad . This was the time when Parasmani Pradhan , Surya Bikram Gewali and their worthy associates had already had their influences on the young poets. ‘The tide of awakening had swept throughout the area like Sikkim , Darjeeling, Benares and Dehradun . During the second and third decade of 20th century Dharanidhar Koirala’s ‘ Naibedya ’ (1920), Mahananda Sapkota’s ‘ Mana Lahari ’ (1920) marked a break with the traditi...

Snake like fish caught in Singtam River

The  Indian mottled eel,  locally known as Raj Bam,   was recovered from the Singtam River at Golitar this early morning.  The snake-like fish weighed around 7 kg and was four feet long. The local people said that they had never seen this species for so long. Such mysterious-looking marine fish are also sighted from time to time on the river banks, local people added.