Writings of Sikkim since 2007

Monday, November 10, 2008

I bought Sikkim history in a ruppee

BY SHITAL PRADHAN

I bought Sikkim history in a rupee. I might sound crazy but I am not. It is rather an interesting incident that happened sometime back at Singtam, my hometown. I was in one of the newspaper shop looking for old magazines for my self made library where a title of a mouse munched Hindi novel took my attention. The title read “ Jagat ki Sikkim Yatra” that is “Jagat’s Journey at Sikkim” in English, it was a great discovery at least for me.

Although novel reading is not my taste but the heading of the book was enough to capture my imagination and my curiosity. I went through each piece of paper of the book and when I was over and done with it I was rather amazed about the content in it. Though it says the story of the book and its character is coincidental but entire theme of the book shows the true picture of the agitation of the 1973 at Gangtok and how India took Sikkim.

I was reading the state of affairs faced by the people of Sikkim, the Chogyal and his family, the Indian authorities, American CIA agents and a character from China. The story had everything and worked around a central character called Jagat, an international thuggee. Every minute details of those agitation days have been recorded neatly as if the writer had witnessed it.

The writer Om Prakash Sharma I am sure had done enough study about the happenings of the Sikkim State then. The book when it was released was priced Rs 2 and since the book was old and mouse bitten I only had to pay Re 1. But for me the book was more worth its price.

Share:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system

Comments

Powered by Blogger.

Full Width CSS

Google+ Followers

Blog Archive

Visitor since January 21, 2012 free counters
Free counters

Search This Blog

Breaking News

DONATE WORLD WIDE POSTAGE STAMPS

I WOULD BE HAPPY IF I CAN GET USED/MINT WORLD WIDE STAMPS FOR CHARITY CAUSE. I WOULD BE USING THE FUND FOR THE SCHOOL DEVELOPMENT PLAN.

THANKS

SHITAL PRADHAN
C/O LN PRADHAN
SHANTINAGAR, SINGTAM
SIKKIM- 737134
INDIA

Google
Custom Search



Beauty

Followers

Social Icons

PageNavi Results No.

Label Icons CSS

Travel

Fashion

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts

Unordered List

When i started my blog on Sikkim way back in 2007, i had it clear on my mind that this blog shall help people look out for knowledge on Sikkim. I always wanted a knowledge house about Sikkim, its past, present and future. I do not know over the years how much did i succeed but my determination to let other understand my Sikkim is always giving me a push. with regards Shital Pradhan (himalayanreview@gmail.com)

Pages

Theme Support

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...