Thursday, November 06, 2008

From archeologist to self made Sikkim historian

Satyajit Ray with former King and Queen of Sikkim

BY SHITAL PRADHAN

I never wanted to be a teacher and at the same time I never had any option. I had always been interested in history since my school days but destiny had other career for me. I compromised my dream on becoming an archeologist when I completed my high schools and opted for Pure Science streams simply to please my father. In my early schooling days we were taught to plant dreams, I dream't of becoming an archeologist. Tutankhamen, Stonehenge, Crop Circles, Incas, Mayas, ancient civilizations and many others were the only things I used to fantasize. I used to regularly visit forest areas at my hometown and search for things believing that I was an archeologist and I was destined to discover it. Funny ways of life one day I found a fossil, it was a petrified fossil with an impression of a Gramineae leaf. Since 2003 I am trying to get more information of it but without any success.

I completed my Pure Science studies with a second division, thereafter I did not knew what was to follow and on a blank note I opted for Botany Honours at Sikkim Government College in Tadong, Gangtok. After my dreams of archeologist was scattered I was never able set up myself towards my future preparation. I completed my Botany Honours with a second division….well I was never a brilliant student in school or colleges but could drag somehow. I have many stories and incidents of my schooling days that I shall share some day; some were funny, some nightmares and couple sweet as honey. I smile at myself at my bygone days that made Shital Pradhan of today.

The seed of archeologist was there with me but one incident changed my outlook towards my thoughts. It was in then Calcutta, my first visit to the metros I was surprised to find that most of the people out there never knew about Sikkim. Some thought it to be in Nepal, some in China and few other made my home state stand somewhere in Bhutan. Till then I never knew what Sikkim was all about. Since then I had been studying Sikkim as my primary importance in my life. I want to know more and more about my Sikkim, every step that played an important role in the making of Sikkim.

From archeologist to self made Sikkim historian….I had changed my object of my life but one thing that had remained untouched is my sincere approach towards my goal. Blogging is just a platform to make people like me understand Sikkim. I am proud to be a Sikkimese…are you?



9 comments:

  1. Hi Shital,

    I have been following your blog for a long time & I really must appreciate the hard work that put into it. It is amazingly informative & helps me keep up updated not only on the current events but also on the history of Sikkim. It is one huge source of information for me to remain connected to my motherland.

    Your latest entry made me want to share this news item on Sikkim - a documentary by Satyajit Ray . It is being screened in Calcutta on the 14th of Nov. It would be nice to have more awareness generated about this documentary for people of Sikkim.

    Thank you for the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yes, I am immensely proud to be a Sikkimese !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sharad for dropping comments at my blog...these writing stuffs are nothing but an humble effort to bring froth our prime past to the present generation before it goes lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir,
    I was randomly searching for a blog on Sikkim... Suddenly, I came across yours ..
    The contents in your blog are really informative and educative...
    Sir, I too am facing the same problem faced by you in Kolkata (years back)... Actually, I am pursuing my B.Tech degree in Computer Science from Bangalore....Same misconceptions here also..Some consider Sikkim to be somewhere in Assam!! and some consider it to be in Nepal,..Bhutan..and wherever they like... I don't understand why??
    Sir, by the way what about the magazine "EXPLORE SIKKIM"... I read its two editions, but couldn't get others...????

    "PROUD TO BE A SIKKIMESE"
    Sunil Dhimal
    Bangalore
    (Sakhu,West Pendam.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sunil...every person from hills have faced this problem, i was not sorry for those people but i was ashamed that i never knew much about my Sikkim....that gave me an opportunity to understand Sikkim, its past, present and future.

    Well Explore Sikkim had been stopped since last July..we are trying to revive it lets see how it shapes. Well Thanks for dropping here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shital,
    My sincerest appreciation to you on this noble endeavour of yours. I used to be very curious about Sikkim when i was small and who better than my grandad who was a storehouse of info on Sikkim to fill me in. Then as you have mentioned schools/colleges happened and here we are! Gosh! i miss my grandad.God rest his soul.
    My grandad had a very interesting life. He was fluent in English,Tibetan,Sikkimese,Lepcha,Nepalese and also understood some Chinese.He had worked for the British intelligence or SAS i believe when he was just out of school. Went to Tibet as a radio operator and translator and witnessed first hand the chinese invasion of Tibet at a place called Chamdo i believe. He even spent 3 years in a Chinese prison...and that was when he hadn't even reached the age of 25.
    Whew, just felt like sharing this with you...apologies if it was off topic.
    Keep on the good work!!
    Proud to be Sikkimay!!
    Tseten Norbu(tsetenster)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tseten thanks for joining me. I really like your grandpa story....can we talk more on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello shital.....allow me to congratulate you on the wonderful things youve done for us.Im sure every one of finds it informative and educative.
    not only sikkim research shows that 95 percent of the mainstream indians do not know about the north east people....all they know is nepal and china......i guess it is funny because we look like chinese ....belong to the mongloid race....and many of us still have resentments being an indian......but as of now things are changing because of technology and enthusiasts like you.....for every 10 people who do not know sikkim ..youll always find 2 three whove visited our state and had good memories........the society is layered not only economically..but also educationally......lets hope to make sikkim proud in all we do.....i guess more achievers are required from our state in every fields in order to make sikkim more conspicuos....regards tenzing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shital da,welcome to Dalapchand.Your work on sikkim is huge stuff considering the ignorance of people of sikkim and yet their haughty nature.In terms of following outward fashion,we are at the top.But walking that way we will end up no where.In this light,I regard you as a man of substance.keep the good work going da!

    ReplyDelete