Blog on Sikkim.

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Possibility of volcano in Sikkim!!



BY SHITAL PRAHAN

I am doing study at the possibility of volcano in Sikkim and i firmly believe there are many chances that we can provide evidence that volcanic eruption had been a part of Sikkim in the dim past. The so-called legends that Tendong Gonpa is on the base of a dead volcano is often heard and read but so-far nothing more had been examined. In my study i find three specific area where soil testing and further examination is to be done, these places are Mt Tendong, hills of Samdruptse and finally my own Mt Shital.

Mt Shital is better known as Foong Dara and i have heard people saying that there is a small pond on the top of the hill and one needs to have an hour up-hill walk throught the forest to reach its top. The pond story is really exciting atleast for me. I have right now little information about the hills of Samdruptse but i go by the studies done in this mountain by geologists as an ample chance of a volcano possibility. Mt Tendong is a legendary time piece in Sikkim history, i had never been there but i had and read about the place where the gonpa is placed looks very much like a crater. God know s the truth!!

I here also like to mention a name of Bermoik Hills, in my childhood i had heard that once in dim past volcano had brusted but nothing more than that. I might sound crazy but my crazy thought had an impression that isn't the hot water springs found in the state resulted from the grinding of the rocks beneath the earth crust. Can Volcano not result from such grinding of earth crusts?


Presence of Pre cambrian rock had given positive approach towards the study of the geological past of Sikkim. Well I hereby leave an intresting note..... the tracing of the volcanic eruption in Sikkim shall also lead to the early days of the formation of that so-called Tethys.
Share:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system

Comments

Powered by Blogger.

Full Width CSS

Google+ Followers

Blog Archive

Visitor since January 21, 2012 free counters
Free counters

Search This Blog

Breaking News

DONATE WORLD WIDE POSTAGE STAMPS

I WOULD BE HAPPY IF I CAN GET USED/MINT WORLD WIDE STAMPS FOR CHARITY CAUSE. I WOULD BE USING THE FUND FOR THE SCHOOL DEVELOPMENT PLAN.

THANKS

SHITAL PRADHAN
C/O LN PRADHAN
SHANTINAGAR, SINGTAM
SIKKIM- 737134
INDIA

Google
Custom Search



Beauty

Followers

Social Icons

PageNavi Results No.

Label Icons CSS

Travel

Fashion

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts

Unordered List

When i started my blog on Sikkim way back in 2007, i had it clear on my mind that this blog shall help people look out for knowledge on Sikkim. I always wanted a knowledge house about Sikkim, its past, present and future. I do not know over the years how much did i succeed but my determination to let other understand my Sikkim is always giving me a push. with regards Shital Pradhan (himalayanreview@gmail.com)

Pages

Theme Support

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...