Skip to main content

Sukhim, Sikkim and me!!!

I am starting my 2009 with an old poem writtten by me and published at Weekend Review Newspaper.

Sukhim, Sikkim and me!!!


It was an awesome dream,

A dream that had million trims.

I saw a battle being fought,

A battle that had no army men,

No weapons and no horses,

And still it was a war,

A great tussle of words.

A shinny man in old torn cloths,

Touching his withered forehead,

Caught on with the debate,

I tried my best to recognize him,

But the wrinkled face fooled me.

Upon I look to the other side,

A debonair, dashing,

Determined face he had,

I took a chance,

And went close to him,

I easily found his freshness,

Phoney it did not looked.

But I felt, I should,

Ask both of them,

Their existence,

And the word for their fight.


The beard man looked right towards me,

He saw my sleeping suit and looked his upon,

He rubbed his eye and moved his lip,

Slowly he told, he was “Sukhim”.

From the past he had come,

For the truth he had came,

But surprised, his days have ended.

His dreams of serene beauty is gone,

His fight for the existence is gone,

All lost to the hollow space of time,

Alas he cried, alas I am dead now!


I was aghast

Sure, I knew nothing at all,

I thought of myself,

Is he the one I used to search?

Or, the other side of my hard pain really,

I looked at that old fellow

And smiled……


The others man’s face,

Pierced through my eyes,

I too was aware now...

I whispered, are you “Sikkim”?

He looked in my eyes,

Nodded his head,

And in a sarcastic way,

Asked me, who are you?

Me, I told…well who am i?

Neither a part of Sukhim,

Had I recognized me,

But I am afraid.

Nor Sikkim recalls me,

Really what am i? Who am i?

I closed my eyes…

I see the great land of Demajong,

People living in serene valley,

With happiness and shelter around,

And from somewhere I hear a moan,

I search to the cry, I try, and I tried,

A baby I found, lying in pain,

Dust, pebbles, thorny arms reaching her,

I went to the baby and lifted her,

She smiled and made me surprise,

I looked below the ground,

And all the things were gone,

I was taken aback,

The baby girl touched my eye,

And I could feel it,

I rubbed my eye and ah!

I was back from my dream.

I could not understand

The tale of the baby and still,

I gave a thought,

…i found my way back,

I went near Sukhim and Sikkim,

They awaited my lips reading,

My thought, my degree of existence!

Well I said,

“I am the future of Sikkim,

And the past of Sikkim”,

They looked at each other

And went through the air.

Never could I find the way out,

The debate of the two thoughts,

And the sudden vanish.

Well, I kiss my night,

And speak to myself.

There shall be another day,

Where I shall again see,

Sukhim, Sikkim and me!!



19-25 dec, 2003

Weekend Review Newspaper


NB: Sukhim is the earlier name of Sikkim


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rongli my birthplace

BY SHITAL PRADHAN A small hamlet in an eastern side Silent raush on its way, The old silk route, More older it look Upon which I stay, Hey that’s Rongli, Rongli my birthplace Years went by, years dried up, Yet the small village is as it was, Silent, peaceful and introvert Today’s picture of Rongli, Houses as station bogie, Looks a cradle, from Chujachen, Upon which the blue sky, As if I can touch thee, Roaring River, As the legend we hear, Still watch with glee, The terror of 1890 somewhat forgotten, Yet another terrorizing moment, 68 was the year… 1968, When sky too wasn’t pleased. That was Rongli, Rongli of the past. Playing along the Baar-Pepal tree, Hiding in the Shivalaya, Watching videos and aloft Is a decent memory, now? Sweet time in treasure, Yet when I am in Rongli, I am happy, in whither sweet. Rongli my birthplace !

India’s illegal occupation of independent Sikkim has to be reversed

Extracted from Pakistan Defence India’s “Chief Executive” in Gangtok wrote: “Sikkim’s merger was necessary for Indian national interest. And we worked to that end. Maybe if the Chogyal had been smarter and played his cards better, it wouldn’t have turned out the way it did.” It is also said that the real battle was not between the Chogyal and Kazi Lendup Dorji but between their wives. On one side was Queen Hope Cook, the American wife of the Chogyal and on the other was the Belgian wife of the Kazi, Elisa-Maria Standford. “This was a proxy war between the American and the Belgian,” says former chief minister BB Gurung. But there was a third woman involved: Indira Gandhi in New Delhi. Chogyal Palden met the 24-year-old New Yorker Hope Cook in Darjeeling in 1963 and married her. For Cook, this was a dream come true: to become the queen of an independent kingdom in Shangrila. She started taking the message of Sikkimese independence to the youth, and the allegations started flying thic...

The coinage system of Sikkim

It is more or less a forgotten part of the development process of the then-small Himalayan kingdom, Sikkim . The introduction of the coinage system in Sikkim ceased the way it started. A study of the coinage system of Sikkim sheds light on the socio-economic and political history of the then-small state. The coins of Sikkim ended the way they appeared; they came from nowhere, and finally, they got lost out in the darkness. A handful of people around Sikkim and in the districts of Darjeeling now have these rare items in their collections. The coin of Sikkim is much sought after by numismatists interested in countries that no longer exist today. Before the British invasion of the land of Sikkim, the capital revenue system was never heard. Sikkim, being an agricultural foreground, had some parts of food grains given to the king as tax. Trade was carried out where things were exchanged between individuals. This system was prevalent even in the mid-19th century; oranges were exchan...