Friday, April 03, 2020

'The Blue Lagoon' (1949) dubbed as 'Samundar ki Sundari' in hindi

I happened to buy an old Hindi film promotional page from an unknown magazine from OP Biyani, my old-time Kanpur hobby dealer. The black-and-white poster with foreign looks in a Hindi film mentioned was enough to create curiosity for me. The film was named Samundar ki Sindari, produced by J. Arthur Rank, and distributed by Eagle Lion Distributors (India). The poster mentioned the lead actor and actresses as Jean Simmons (an Academy Award winner) and Donald Houston (Debonair Pride Discovery). The film was playing to packed houses at Regal New Delhi, Jagat & Imperial - Delhi, City Light - Amritsar, and Orient - Dehradun. 






Returning to the present, I received that page in my hands. I was eager to know about Jean Simmons. She was an actress and a singer who was involved in cinema until 1996. She won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress for Guys and Dolls in 1955 but was twice nominated for Academy Awards: for Best Supporting Actress in Hamlet (1948) and for Best Actress in The Happy Ending (1969). In 1955, she received the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress for Guys and Dolls.

I checked about the Hindi film Samundar ki Sindari on the internet, but nothing was found. Later, while searching for more on the lead actor and actress, I came upon a photograph that was used on the poster I had in my hand. The poster is from the 1949 English film The Blue LagoonThe film was a big hit, and its sequels were remade in 1980, 1991, and 2014. In India, Teri Baahon Mein, starring Mohnish Behl and Ayesha Dutt, was based on The Blue Lagoon.

So this poster seems to be a dubbed film in Hindi. But the internet says, Jurassic Park was the first English movie to be dubbed in Hindi.


FOR MORE ON MY DIGITAL ARCHIVES
CLICK THE LINK
https://hobbyworld2020.blogspot.com/search/label/CINEMA

No comments:

Post a Comment