Blog on Sikkim.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sikkim Express Memories


Sikkim Express Memories

Sarikah is the new Executive Editor of Sikkim Express in 2007.
I had the same post, though not as 'formalised' in 1987.
In those days, it was really just the Managing Editor Mr. Ram Patro [now deceased] and the Executive Editor [yours truly] who were the 'editorial staff'. There was Dhriba Gurung, who was the Editor and staff of the Nepali langauge side called 'Himali Bela'.
Sikkim Express was the first newspaper in the region to go 'offset'. There was an immense composing machine, a primitive comupter which would work on Wordstar commands. We were also the first in Sikkim to have an electronic typewriter on the golf-ball principle.
Sikkim Express was where I received my 'hands on' training in computers. I started on the princely sum of Rs 700 a month, upped to rs 900 two months later, and after six months, I was received the 'princely wage' of Rs 1400 plus a holiday Christmnas bonus which included a return flight to Patna!
I believe that Mr Ram Patro's son, who was an impish little boy at the time has taken over as Managing Editor.
I'm sure that Sarikah is going to breathe life andfire into thepblication.
She was recently given an award by the Sikkim Government.

http://fragbows2.blogspot.com/2007/06/sikkim-express-memories.html
Share:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system

Comments

Powered by Blogger.

Full Width CSS

Google+ Followers

Blog Archive

Visitor since January 21, 2012 free counters
Free counters

Search This Blog

Breaking News

DONATE WORLD WIDE POSTAGE STAMPS

I WOULD BE HAPPY IF I CAN GET USED/MINT WORLD WIDE STAMPS FOR CHARITY CAUSE. I WOULD BE USING THE FUND FOR THE SCHOOL DEVELOPMENT PLAN.

THANKS

SHITAL PRADHAN
C/O LN PRADHAN
SHANTINAGAR, SINGTAM
SIKKIM- 737134
INDIA

Google
Custom Search



Beauty

Followers

Social Icons

PageNavi Results No.

Label Icons CSS

Travel

Fashion

Labels

Blog Archive

Recent Posts

Unordered List

When i started my blog on Sikkim way back in 2007, i had it clear on my mind that this blog shall help people look out for knowledge on Sikkim. I always wanted a knowledge house about Sikkim, its past, present and future. I do not know over the years how much did i succeed but my determination to let other understand my Sikkim is always giving me a push. with regards Shital Pradhan (himalayanreview@gmail.com)

Pages

Theme Support

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...