Monday, December 15, 2008

They wanted to kill me??

AN ENVELOPE
 
A PIECE OF PAPER
 
LIST OF ADDRESSES INSIDE THE ENVELOPE

I was part of a successful newspaper at Gangtok; the weekly newspaper “Weekend Review” was then considered the third party in Sikkim after the Sikkim Democratic Front led by Pawan Chamling and Congress led by N B. Bhandari, former Chief Minister of Sikkim. I had just completed my graduation when I got a chance to join the big-wig WR team, it took me a week to decide and I was a news reporter. Even then my primary concern was to look for the old history of Sikkim. The new job was interesting, challenging and more of an adventure. I never knew what I was to do the next day or where shall I be the next day. Only thing I was told was to report to the newspaper office at Gangtok every Thursday to file a report. I was associated with the WR team for more than two years till our editor was replaced and I found it uncomfortable to work with the new editor. His lack of journalism ethics made me leave WR. Within the next one year Weekend Review went through the silent death. I had seen this newspaper grow from rags to riches and back to rags. If ever somebody takes a note on the account of print media in Sikkim, the name Weekend Review shall have its position among the peak. In the context of Sikkim, no print media has reached the place that was created by WR. Investigation journalism had a new meaning and there were stories every age of life highly appreciated.

Well today I speak of one incident that always makes me think of my days as a  news reporter. An incident where a due-letter envelope was sent to me with a surprise note inside along with a page that had list of people with their address. The sender's address on the front of the envelope showed the name of Orissa State but I am sure this letter did not came from Orissa. The small note only said "Idiot we want to kill you, don’t try to act over smart”. 

This piece of paper took me by surprise, I showed it to Sujit Chakraborty, my editor who asked me if I had any doubt on the culprits. But I never thought I ever had anyone to name. He wanted to me to file a FIR in a police station but I did not agree. I am sure the people who sent me the letter weren't happy with the sort of articles I was writing but I wasn’t scared for once. I was happy, I felt I was doing something better towards my society as one of my friends told me it showed my writing flair wasn’t a failure. I never gave importance to the issue and it slowly went off my mind but even today when I see the envelope I am amazed and ask myself who could have sent me!!

7 comments:

  1. Omg! Who would've sent something like that. You know, maybe the addresses inside the envelope were the list of senders or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see a sikkim blog by a fellow sikkimese.
    keep writing.
    and yes as a journalist, threats are imminent.
    It's a profession of courageous and intelligent people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Rinchen i never knew who send me....those were old stuffs now. It happened during 2003.

    Thanks Vivek for your comments....ya being in this field it's more like playing with fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg! I can't believe that someone would actually send a letter like that but again I am not surprised by the fact that someone want to kill you or anyone[in general] because those are the people who are so jobless and unhappy by the fact that you are bringing to peoples' notice of something that they might not be happy about.As a journalist, your life is at stake but what matters is how much risk you take. I hope you keep posting great articles in your newspapers and blog.
    As for your safety, don't worry, those who can't face you have no courage to k*** you so they can just burn in hell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GAWWDD....itz so shocking ya....y cant pple better do sum constructive thing rather than sending such useless threats.....
    You should have logged FIR. Atleast ppple wud cum to kno who doz beasts were....These kind of people can never see their fellow citizens rising high in life...they must me jealoue of ur success...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a blow not only to my ears but i assume to many of the readers here ....though it happnd long tim bk..we r now awaitin for a new year 2010 . n we r cumin to knw about it aftr 7 lng yrs...my god..but Mr Sheetal m sure it was a prank played by some jealousy people who knew u so vry well....anyways i really hv respect for the journalist who writes truth and only truth.... Risk is sumthing tat evry person shld taste it once in a life time....GOOD JOB.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats lyf ya....giv a damn 2 al dat n carry on wid ur good job....

    ReplyDelete