Skip to main content

Shital Pradhan...the cricketer

I believe I am not sounding erratic with such headlines as "Shital Pradhan....the cricketer", but this is one part of my life that made sacrifices for what I am today. A cricket loss was a history's gain. I used to believe I was born to play cricket, all that I did for most of my initial years was eat cricket, play cricket, think cricket and sleep cricket. 

Until one fine morning, I realised that it was not my inner satisfaction that I need to fulfil but I am born to do things that no one dares to flip over and that was.....to shake up our past from the wheel of the clock. Thus my unknown journey towards unwinding Sikkim's history began.

But today, I want to speak more about cricket, which was my first love. Cricket started with me in the mid-80s when Sunil Gavaskar was at his peak but I admired the slow left-arm bowler Maninder Singh, the most then. I still remember little Sachin with his unusually small white helmet facing the forces of Imran, Wasim and Waqar in his first series in Pakistan. Still fresh in my memory is the double wicket Pepsi Cup during that particular series where he partnered with Kapil Dev and destroyed Abdul Qadir's line and length. Sachin celebrates twenty years in cricket and I am surprised how the time period went by.

Being from Singtam was not at all a happy moment for budding players like me those days. We were still at our schools and we were denied playing for the senior team. It was in 94-95 when the Singtam Cricket Team scored a mere 36 runs in their first outing at Thirani Cup, that defeat gave us a chance to replace those "chhattissay". Singtam Cricket Team was chasing 194 against the Development Area in that particular match where they were bundled out for mere 36 runs that included eight players from Singtam getting a duck. The highest score from them was an extra. That match might even find a place in the record books.

From 94-95 till 2004 I was a regular player in Singtam senior team, I had many memories out at Mining, Gangtok and how can I forget the hat trick I took in Pirahanas Cup at Kalimpong and I was left out for the next match. I was a right-arm off-spinner and right-handed batsman. Those days Nigel Cashmore from Gangtok was a  big name to us, a fast bowler who could uproot any good batsman's stump. Ramji was another bowler from Mining. I still remember playing a tournament match at Pangthang when all of a sudden fog came in and surrounded the ground. The scene was such that even the two batsmen were not visible to one another.

Between 1996-98 I was at Chujachen SSS and played for the Rongli team. Playing for Rongli, I always regard losing at the semi-final at a tournament in Pedong in 1997 as the most depressing moment, the team we then had was well-balanced. In the quarterfinal, I scored my career-best 51 with five 4s and three sixes. My bowling pair with Saroj was simply an awesome combination. He had an excellent command over his leg spin and I used to turn around from the other side. We were a force and opponent used to respect. When I talk of my best bowling figure, it was with Rhenock Team and my figure after the end of the match was four overs, three maiden one runs and four wickets. At the same match, Saroj took four and others were shared by other bowlers.

Of the few trophies and certificates I received for cricket, I am sharing one of them in the above photographs. I can say....these days I am not into cricket since I shifted my focus to more important things in my life. I do not regret that I left cricket for Sikkim history but in a corner, I do still have to feel that I could have represented my state.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JANHA BAGCHA TEESTA RANGIT

This was a national song of Sikkim sung in the Nepali language during the monarchy system. During the merger with India, the song got banned and later re-released. Two words on the 8th para, which earlier said 'Rajah rah Rani,' were replaced with "Janmah bhumi."     This song was dedicated to the King and Queen of Sikkim. The song lyrics were penned by Sanu Lama, and the music was composed by Dushyant Lama.  The song was first sung on the birth anniversary of Chogyal Palden Thondup Namgyal on April 4, 1970, at Gangtok by Aruna Lama, Dawa Lama, and Manikamal Chettri.    JANHA BAGCHA TEESTA RANGIT,  JAHAN KANCHENDZONGA SEER   YEHI HO HAMRO DHANA KO DESH,  TAPAWAN HO PYARO SIKKIM     INTERLUDE     PHULCHAN YEHA AANGANAI MAA,  CHAAP , GURAS, SUNAKHARI   SWARGASARI SUNDAR DESH KO  HAMRO PYARO PYARO JANMAHBHUMI     JANHA BAGCHA……     BATASHLE BOKCHAA YAHA,  TATHAGAT KO AAMAR WAANI ...

Early Poets of Sikkim : Subhash Deepak

During the early two decades of the twentieth century young boys belonging to rich and aristocratic families including upper caste Brahmins were sent to Darjeeling or Benares for studies. These young boys naturally got an opportunity to encounter the new trends of awakening like the National movement of Indian Independence. The influence of great literary personalities like Lekhnath Poudyal (1884-1965), Lakshmi Prasad Devkota (1909-1965) and Balkrishna Sama (1902-1981) is very much evident on the poets associated with Apatan Sahitya Parishad . This was the time when Parasmani Pradhan , Surya Bikram Gewali and their worthy associates had already had their influences on the young poets. ‘The tide of awakening had swept throughout the area like Sikkim , Darjeeling, Benares and Dehradun . During the second and third decade of 20th century Dharanidhar Koirala’s ‘ Naibedya ’ (1920), Mahananda Sapkota’s ‘ Mana Lahari ’ (1920) marked a break with the traditi...

Sukunda: Newa`s five elements

(Information by Dipak Shrestha) Sukunda is a typical traditional Nepali oil lamp made of brass. The front part of this lamp shows a tiny icon of Ganesha, the god of luck and success. On its front is a small cup fixed in the shape of a Yoni used to put the wick. Fixed on the back of the lamp is a fascinating loop handle designed with a five-headed serpent (sometimes a mythical dragon or makara) raising its head in a very watchful attitude.  A small spoon with a nagakanya on top generally replenishes the reservoir's oil. The artistic work on this unique oil lamp reflects the remote past of a very famous Buddhist legend.  The Legend A long time ago, Kathmandu Valley was a large lake inhabited by nagas(snakes). In the middle of the lake was a beautifully blooming thousand-petalled lotus flame. When Buddhisattwa Mahamanjushree heard about this, he rushed to the valley from China to pay homage to the flame. The entire valley rang up with the thundering strike of his mag...